Thursday 7 November 2013

One to watch- We Were Evergreen

Venue- The Trades Club, Hebden Bridge
Date- 06/11/13

Rais and I arrived at the Trades club for 7.30. Fair to say I was rather excited to see We Were Evergreen live again as they had kindly put me on the guest list! I'd seen them walking around before the show and I noticed that a lot has changed since April! Michael's grown a beard and William's lost his moustache. However this isn't the only thing that has changed for the band! New songs, an album coming out?! More than exciting for us fans new and old!

Set List
LEEWAY
TAMBOURINE
DAUGHTERS
ANTLERS
FALSE START
BELONG

Leeway is of course still a fan favourite, one of the songs that We Were Evergreen always play during their gigs. Have to say it's still one of my favourites as well and it always makes me smile. Some of their new songs had a reggae feel to them as Rais said "feels like you're on a beach in Jamaica". Couldn't agree more! This band just seem to improve with age (rather like a cheese). I can't believe I've just compared We Were Evergreen to ageing cheese...oh dear! I really have a lot of love for this band!

Now they weren't really known by all the audience but by the end of their set they had the crowd cheering and dancing to their new upbeat song "BELONG" which was lovely to hear. I particularly liked this song. The ending where Fabienne, William and Michael all played their drums was amazing to watch live. Had to stop writing notes just so I could have a dance and watch them play!

My friend Rais was busy photographing the whole set and I have to say I am glad he came cause he has got some good shots (if I do say so myself). Go and check out his facebook page showing all his photography. He has some exciting opportunities coming up so I'd really love it if you went and liked his page for me! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rais-Malik-Photography/188418247996501?fref=ts

8.30pm

The band made their way through the crowd to the stage where Rais and I had taken a spot right in front of Michael. This is the most intimate gig I have been to so it was a lovely change. They had a few claps and my rather loud cheers (sorry I'm embarrassing) and began their first song. The crowd were easily won over by their unique sound and arrangement of instruments. I mean it's not everyday you see a 3 piece band playing a xylophone, ukulele, cymbals with their feet. Crazy but amazingly good to watch! One thing I never fail to do when We Were Evergreen are on stage is to have a good dance. They play catchy, happy tunes unlike anything I've heard before. That's a good thing because their sound is refreshing. They left the stage to a chorus of cheers, claps (and loud "wooooo"s from me).

After the set I made my way to the merch stand and had a chat with Michael. I'd managed to nab a setlist so Michael kindly signed it for me! After asking my name to write on the setlist he said "oh you're Megan May" Yep that's me! Now I proudly have a signed setlist (my first one) sat on my table waiting to be blu-tac'd on the wall.

Something exciting that happened last night was that I managed to ask a few questions to put on here for you lovely lot! I was desperate to write a piece about this band in the hope that some of you lot would take my advice and go and check them out!

Would you come to Hebden Bridge again?
Yes we're hoping to come back again maybe when the album comes out.

What did you think of the venue?
Love how the music sounds in here, the acoustics are great. We prefer smaller gigs because it's more intimate and the atmosphere is great. This is why we would come back to the Trades Club.

Any plans for a tour?
Most likely when the album is out.

When exactly is the album coming out?
No exact date set yet but it will most likely be March/April...probably April (exciting because this will be just in time for my birthday April 21st).

Who inspires you because some would say you have a unique genre of sound?
We had lots of inspirations and listened to various different types of music. We then made our own sound with elements of music we had listened to.

How long have you been together and how did the band form?
We've been together 5 years. Michael and Fabienne met at School. They met William at music school and We Were Evergreen was created.

I'd asked if I could get a picture with the band and Michael said I could when the others came up. I thought they'd left but he came back with the other members to find me and kindly took a photo with me and had a chat. If they're reading this now would just like to say thank you so much for answering my questions for this blog and also thank you for another amazing live show. I swear this band gets better everytime live! Only thing I missed was 'Baby Blue' played live as that will most likely be my favourite song ever because it's how I fell in love with the band. The best is yet to come from this band and I can't wait for the album and hopefully a tour!

Would love to do more posts like this as I really enjoyed writing this!

Please go and check this band out!
Website: http://www.musicwwe.com/
Twitter: @WeWereEvergreen
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wewereevergreen
Instagram: wewereevergreen
Tumblr: http://wewereevergreen.tumblr.com/
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/wewereevergreen

Phew that's it for today's post! Don't forget to check out all the links and go and follow me on twitter as I post updates of when I post blog! @Megsiemay95

"The rest is still unwritten"

Megan







No comments:

Post a Comment